I’m officially in love with jackfruit. These vegan pulled pork tacos are absolutely amazing! The jackfruit mimics the texture of pulled pork perfectly. This recipe is insanely easy to put together and even more delicious.
This is the greatest recipe to dive into on a warm summer evening, maybe while enjoying some drinks. You will not be disappointed by the simplicity and awesome flavour. Also, did I mention how healthy for you these tacos actually are? Yeah, they are packed full of nutrients! Jackfruit is naturally packed full of vitamin c, riboflavin and potassium. So, forget about sacrificing flavour when it comes to healthy food because these jackfruit tacos have got you good.
P.S. The avocado is a must on these because avocado is life.
Easy Jackfruit Tacos
- 2 (400ml) cans of Jackfruit
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Place in large freezer bag.
- Mix together spices and sugar then add mixture to jackfruit and disperse evenly.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and pour evenly over mixture.
- Massage mixture so jackfruit is covered evenly.
- Marinate for minimum 1 hour up to 6 hours.
- While marinating you can make your cilantro lime sour cream.
- Once jackfruit is done marinating start heating up a pan with some oil then add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add jackfruit mixture and remaining 1/2 cup water. Cover and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, break up jackfruit so it looks similar to pulled pork. Then cook covered on a very low heat for another 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once liquid is evaporated the jackfruit is done!
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Soak cashews with boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Once cashews have been soaked, drain and add to blender or food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
- Thinly sliced Red Onion
- Fresh Cilantro