The best part about summertime is the endless amount of fresh produce. Going to the farmers market on a warm, Sunday morning is one of my favourite things to do. I love all the vibrant colours, and the sweet smell of fresh berries wafting through the air. Berries are my all time favourite fruit. All have their own unique flavour and colour. Which makes for an absolutely scrumptious pie. Blueberry is one of my favourites to make and to eat! It happens to be my boyfriends favourite as well, so that makes it even more enjoyable for me to make.
This recipe that I’m sharing with you is super simple to make and made with minimal ingredients. Anyone can make this recipe and should have most of the ingredients sitting in their pantry’s.
The pie is best made with fresh blueberries but if you don’t have any available you can use frozen blueberries. You can make the pie ahead of time and then freeze it or just bake it right away! Let me know if you tried this recipe and how it turns out. I’d love to hear from you!
Pie Dough Recipe
– 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
– 1 cup vegan butter, I use earth balance baking sticks, make sure it’s cold!
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1/4 cup ice cold water, add 2 tbsp more if needed
– 1 9″ pie plate
1. Start by cutting butter into small cubes, place in freezer while preparing other ingredients.
2. Combine flour, salt, and sugar.
3. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, combine butter and flour mixture until pea sized pieces.
4. Then add ice cold water. Mix until almost combined (see pictures) do not over mix!
5. Place dough into two separate plastic wraps and shape into a disc shape. Place in fridge for minimum an hour to overnight.
6. When ready to roll the crust take the dough out 5-10 mins before to make it easier for rolling, then flour your surface and begin to roll out into a circular shape.
7. The dough crust should be about a 1/2 inch thick. You will want to roll the circle into about 10″-12″.
8. Gently place dough into a lightly greased 9″ pie plate. Then using a fork, poke a few holes around the base of the crust. Trim the sides of the crust so it’s clean and even with the plate, I use a sharp pairing knife and just drag it around the plate.
9. Roll out second disc of dough. You will want the dough circle to be about 10″-12″ and about 1/2 inch thick. Or alternatively you can cut the top into strips and layer to give your pie the lattice look. See pictures. Place onto a plate.
10. Set both the crust and top in fridge until ready to use.
Pie Filling Recipe
– 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
– 3/4 cup cane sugar or regular white sugar
– 3 tbsp cornstarch
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tbsp earth balance butter
Milk and Sugar Wash
– 2 tbsp non dairy milk or cream
– 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave
– pastry brush
1. In a large bowl combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon.
2. Place mixture into prepared pie shell, and then top with butter, placing butter pieces evenly over blueberries.
3. Place top dough on top, trim edges and cut a hole in the center and brush with milk and sugar wash.
4. Place pie plate on cookie sheet to make sure there is no spillage in the oven.
5. Bake pie at 425 F for 35 – 45 minutes. If baking from frozen bake for an additional hour, make sure for the first half it’s covered in foil and then remove foil for second half of baking.
6. Pie should be golden brown and filling should be bubbling when done.
7. Cool on a cooling rack for 10 – 15 mins and then serve with dairy free ice cream!